The definitive multimedia resource on wide awake hand surgery from renowned experts
WALANT (Wide Awake Local Anesthesia No Tourniquet) eliminates the need for preoperative testing, sedation, intravenous insertion, and monitoring in upper and lower limb surgery. Coupled with minimal pain injection techniques using pure local anesthesia with lidocaine and epinephrine, this technique has significantly improved hand surgery for patients and surgeons in many ways. Wide Awake Hand Surgery and Therapy Tips, Second Edition, provides readers with the best and latest WALANT advances from Donald H. Lalonde and an impressive group of hand surgeons from 15 countries that have incorporated this groundbreaking technique into practice to benefit their patients. Each richly illustrated chapter encompasses evidence-based benefits, step-by-step guidance, patient education tips, detailed injection directions, surgery and therapy tips and tricks, postsurgical management, and related videos.
WALANT produces better outcomes in flexor and extensor tendon repair, tendon transfer, tenolysis, tendon grafts, and finger fracture surgery because unsedated patients can easily move reconstructed parts during surgery. This allows surgeons to make required adjustments and teach patients uninterrupted while they are awake. Eliminating sedation also decreases risks, increases patient safety, and reduces pain associated with intravenous insertion. Simple surgeries such as trigger finger and carpal tunnel release no longer require costly main operating rooms. Instead, they can be performed in minor procedure rooms with evidence-based sterility, resulting in lower costs and reduced waste.
- A three times larger video library with more than 500 videos, most of which are new
- New chapters on upper and lower limb fracture plating of the wrist, forearm, elbow, acromion, clavicle, tibia, fibula, ankle, and foot
- More than eight hours of video education covering ultrasound hand diagnosis and ultrasoundguided surgery
- Innovative hand therapy techniques made possible by WALANT detailed under Therapy Tips
- The use of pencil test and relative motion splinting to resolve numerous hand problems
- New strategies to implement WALANT in hospitals
This must-have resource will help hand surgeons, hand therapists, and allied nurses prevent unnecessary costs and risks, reduce complications, and improve patient outcomes.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/