Video Atlas of Neurophysiological Monitoring in Surgery of Infiltrating Brain Tumors
- Edition: 1 2022
- Details: 102 pages, 106 ill., Hardback (Perfect Binding)
- ISBN: 9783132421462
- Media Type: Book
- Language of text: English
A practical and succinct guide to neurophysiological monitoring for safer brain tumor surgery
The surgical treatment of infiltrating brain tumors is an extremely challenging and often highly rewarding facet of neurosurgery.The decision-making process involves deeply human interconnections with patients and relatives, cutting-edge neuroscience, and fascinating technology. Video Atlas of Neurophysiological Monitoring in Surgery of Infiltrating Brain Tumors by renowned oncological neurosurgeon Michael Sabel and esteemed contributors demonstrates the practical applications of neurophysiological monitoring to achieve safe removal of infiltrating brain tumors in asleep and awake settings.
Organized in three primary parts, the books starts with an introduction including discussion of the impact and challenges posed by infiltrating gliomas and cerebral metastases and the philosophy behind supramarginal resection. The second part covers critical theoretical components including relevant anatomy, nervous system electricity and fields, transcranial monitoring methods and principles, and direct cortical and subcortical mapping including awake brain surgery. The final part provides insightful, practical guidance on decision making, monitoring set-up, planning of surgical cases, and a summary of accompanying videos.
- Discussion of impacted anatomy, physiology of the neural pathways monitored in brain tumor surgery, and key neurophysiological techniques for monitoring and testing during resection
- Instructive illustrations coupled with concise explanations enhance knowledge and facilitate understanding of techniques
- Fifteen videos covering real-life intraoperative cases provide in-depth insights on applying IONM principles to infiltrating brain tumors
This is an essential resource for any neurosurgeon involved or interested in brain tumor surgery, from residents and fellows to board-certified neurosurgeons not yet trained in this field.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.