The definitive guide to performing vertebroplasty, kyphoplasty, and implant augmentation from national and international experts
Vertebral compression fractures (VCFs) result from trauma or pathologic weakening of the bone and are associated with conditions such as osteoporosis or malignancy. Worldwide, VCFs impact one in three women and one in eight men aged 50 and older, with more than 8.9 million fractures incurred annually. Copublished by Thieme and the Society of Interventional Radiology, Vertebral Augmentation: The Comprehensive Guide to Vertebroplasty, Kyphoplasty, and Implant Augmentation provides a practical, clinical discussion of these minimally invasive spine interventions.
Written and edited by Douglas Beall along with associate editors Allan Brook, M. R. Chambers, Joshua Hirsch, Alexios Kelekis, Yong-Chul Kim, Scott Kreiner, and Kieran Murphy, this richly illustrated book presents a multidisciplinary and international perspective. It features contributions from renowned experts in interventional radiology, neurosurgery, pain medicine, and physiatry. This resource fills a gap in the literature, with extensive updates on a vast amount of new information and techniques that have been introduced during the past decade. Thirty-five chapters address treatment of spine fractures, starting with a history and introduction to vertebral augmentation, discussion of VCFs, patient assessments, physical exam findings, pain management, and much more.
- Procedural chapters cover vertebroplasty, sacroplasty, cervical and posterior arch augmentation, balloon kyphoplasty, and vertebral augmentation with implants and for challenging pathologies
- Special topics include radiation exposure and protection, post-procedure physical therapy, osteoporosis treatment, postural fatigue syndrome, the effect on morbidity and mortality, and cementoplasty outside the spine
- Treatment of complex cases are also discussed extensively, including chronic vertebral compression fractures, neoplastic vertebral compression fractures, instrumented spinal fusions, and severe benign and malignant fractures
- The final chapter features 16 subchapters from global masters of vertebral augmentation, with personal tips, tricks, and pearls they use in their own practices
This is a must-have resource for interventional radiology, neurosurgery, interventional pain management, and orthopaedic surgery residents and fellows, as well as seasoned clinicians who wish to incorporate these procedures into practice.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/