Unique resource from world-renowned ophthalmologist elevates the surgical treatment of pterygium to an art form
Often referred to as surfer's eye, pterygium is a common cornea disorder in which an overgrowth of thick fibrovascular growth encroaches the cornea. While mild pterygia can be managed pharmacologically, more advanced cases that negatively impact vision and cosmetic appearance require surgical excision. The Art of Pterygium Surgery: Mastering Techniques and Optimizing Results by internationally acclaimed eye surgeon Arun Gulani and esteemed global contributors features an impressive array of collective expertise, pearls, and unbiased approaches. This textbook raises the bar on a challenging surgical procedure in terms of performance, aesthetic outcomes, and patient expectations, while presenting a paradigm shift in defining success beyond lack of recurrence to immediate and long-term appearance of the operated eye.
Divided into three sections, the book begins with a history and overview; signs, symptoms, classification, and differential diagnosis; and evidence-based concepts. Subsequent chapters cover current state-of-the-art procedures, management of complex cases and complications, and future innovations. Techniques are discussed in depth, with dedicated chapters on the use of amniotic membrane and umbilical cord transplantation; conjunctival autografts; antimetabolites such as Mitomycin C, fibrin glues, and sealants; and stem cell applications.
- For the first time ever, accountability of surgical outcomes has been raised by providing patient pictures and perspectives instead of data points
- Innovative techniques enable pterygium patients to become candidates for laser vision and premium cataract surgery procedures
- High-impact photos, surgical videos, and tables enhance learning and provide a robust teaching platform that can be utilized worldwide
- Special topics include the treatment of other ocular surface disorders with amniotic graft surgery and Laser Corneoplastique for management of irregular astigmatism and corneal scars associated with pterygium
- Discussion of future trends focus on next-day cosmetic outcomes in pterygium and pinguecula surgery and kerato-refractive and premium cataract surgery with pterygium
Artfully unique, this robust ophthalmic surgery reference offers insightful guidance to help eye surgeons achieve better outcomes and satisfaction in patients with pterygium. It is essential reading for ophthalmology residents and cornea and ocular surface specialists.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/