The ultimate guide to navigating and treating brainstem pathologies from master neurosurgeon Robert Spetzler
The brainstem is one of the last bastions of surgical prohibition because of its densely packed ascending and descending tracts and nuclei carrying information to and from the brain. Although 10% of all pediatric tumors and 5% of all vascular anomalies occur in the brainstem, neurosurgeons have traditionally resisted dissecting lesions in this area. Recent advances in imaging, microscopy, anesthesia, and operative techniques have expanded the treatment paradigm for this most eloquent region of the brain.
Surgery of the Brainstem, by internationally renowned neurosurgeons Robert F. Spetzler, M. Yashar S. Kalani, and Michael T. Lawton, along with an impressive cadre of global experts, is a comprehensive guide to managing disorders of the brainstem, thalamic region, and basal ganglia. Organized in seven sections with 33 chapters, the text opens with four sections covering a variety of topics. Section I presents the history of brainstem surgery; Section II examines anatomy, development, and pathology; Section III reviews patient examination, imaging, and monitoring; and Section IV provides a succinct overview of surgical approaches. Sections V-VII cover a wide range of adult and pediatric tumors, ischemia, stroke, aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations, and cerebral cavernous malformations. More than 300 high-quality clinical images and medical illustrations enhance the text.
- A full spectrum of treatment modalities and outcomes, including open surgery, endoscopic approaches, stereotactic radiosurgery, radiotherapy, endovascular techniques, and revascularization
- An anatomy chapter featuring stunning Rhoton-style anatomical dissections delineates critical landmarks in the brainstem, thalamus, pineal region, and cranial nerves
- Detailed discussion of patient positioning and exposure of various brainstem domains
- Pearls on overcoming psychological, pathological, and anatomical barriers and managing complications
Understanding the basic anatomy, pathology, and clinical complexities of the brainstem and thalamic regions is essential for safe navigation and treatment. This remarkable book will provide neurosurgeons with additional insights on performing resections and achieving the best possible outcomes for patients with pathologic conditions in this delicate region.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at email@example.com for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/