Planta MedicaJournal of Medicinal Plant and Natural Product Research
All institutional subscriptions to Planta Medica include online access.
For institutional subscriptions, please contact Institutional Sales for pricing at:
- In US, Canada, South and Central America, please contact email@example.com.
- In Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPACT FACTOR 2021: 3.007
Please read our complete Terms of Trade for journal subscription policies.
Journal subscribers will receive a separate invoice and confirmation for your subscription order with taxes broken down separately as applicable and appropriate for your region.
Special rates are available for members of the Society for Medicinal Plant Research. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
Planta Medica is one of the leading international journals in the field of natural products - including marine organisms, fungi as well as micro-organisms - and medicinal plants. Planta Medica accepts original research papers and reviews from researchers worldwide. The following areas of medicinal plants and natural product research are covered:
- Biological and Pharmacological Activities
- Natural Product Chemistry & Analytical Studies
- Pharmacokinetic Investigations
- Formulation and Delivery Systems of Natural Products
The journal explicitly encourages the submission of chemically characterized abstracts.
Thieme Award 2021 for the Most Innovative Planta Medica Original Paper
Ever since 2013, Thieme awards every year the most promising paper published in Planta Medica in the previous year. The decision of the jury - the Editors of the journal - is strictly based on scientific quality and on the interest that the paper has met with in the scientific community. The prize money is EUR 1.500. This year, a paper by Lorena Carla Vieira et al., “Rosmarinic Acid Intravitreal Implants: A New Therapeutic Approach for Ocular Neovascularization”. Congratulations! Click here to read the paper for free.
Always wanted to publish in Planta Medica? Click below for a video with tips and tricks for a successful submission by Editor-in-Chief Professor Oliver Kayser:
Contributions reporting the following are not normally considered for publication and will be immediately rejected if:
- The manuscript does not fall into any of the above areas
- Activity data are reported without comparison to a recognized positive control
- Plant extracts have not been characterized by analysis of their major constituents (e.g. HPLC, GC, NMR)
- Predictable bioactivity is reported (e.g. antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds)
Official Organ of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Product Research (GA), www.ga-online.org
Abstracting and indexing:
Current Contents/Life Sciences, Science Citation Index, MEDLINE, EMBASE, SCOPUS, EBSCO, ProQuest
Most Innovative Paper of the Year Award
To mark and honor the many outstanding and groundbreaking contributions and their authors, Thieme has decided to award an annual prize to the most innovative paper of the year. The decision of the jury - the Editors of the journal - is strictly based on scientific quality and on the interest that the paper has met within the scientific community. Awarded papers are characterized by scientific rigor, innovation, and vision’. The prize money is EUR 1.500 plus a number of additional benefits detailed below.
Planta Medica is the official organ of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Product Research (GA). The winner of the Thieme Award is formally announced and the prize handed over during the annual conference of the GA. The winner will give a short lecture to present his paper.
Best Paper Award Winners - Planta Medica Awards
Antoine Bruguière, Séverine Derbré, Dimitri Bréard, Félix Tomi, Jean-Marc Nuzillard, Pascal Richomme
13C NMR Dereplication Using MixONat Software: A Practical Guide to Decipher Natural Products Mixtures
Planta Med 2021;87:1061 – 1068
Lorena Carla Vieira, Carolina Paula de Souza Moreira, Brenda Fernanda Moreira Castro, Oliver Araújo Lacerda Cotta, Luciana Maria Silva, Gustavo de Oliveira Fulgêncio, Armando Silva-Cunha, Sílvia L. Fialho
Rosmarinic Acid Intravitreal Implants: A New Therapeutic Approach for Ocular Neovascularization
Planta Med 2020; 86(17): 1286-1297
Elizabeth M. Mudge, Paula N. Brown, Susan J. Murch
The Terroir of Cannabis: Terpene Metabolomics as a Tool to Understand Cannabis sativa Selections
Planta Med 2019; 85(09/10): 781-796
Cátia Ramalhete, Silva Mulhovo, Hermann Lage, and Maria-José U. Ferreir
Triterpenoids from Momordica balsamina with a Collateral Sensitivity Effect for Tackling Multidrug Resistance in Cancer Cells
Planta Med 2018; 84(18): 1372-1379
Kamal, Nurkhalida; Viegelmann, Christina V.; Clements, Carol J.; Edrada-Ebel, RuAngelie
Metabolomics-Guided Isolation of Anti-trypanosomal Metabolites from the Endophytic Fungus Lasiodiplodia theobromae
Planta Med. 2017; 83: 565–573.
Haron M.H,, Tyler H.L., Pugh N.D., Moraes R.M., Maddox V.L., Jackson C.R., Pasco D.S.
Activities and Prevalence of Proteobacteria Members Colonizing Echinacea purpurea Fully Account for Macrophage Activation Exhibited by Extracts of This Botanical
Planta Med. 2016; 82: 1258–1265.
Sturm N., Quinn R.J. and Kellenberger E.
Similarity between Flavonoid Biosynthetic Enzymes and Flavonoid Protein Targets Captured by Three-Dimensional Computing Approach
Planta Med. 2015;81:467-473.
Jakub P. Piwowarski, Sebastian Granica and Anna K. Kiss
Influence of gut microbiota-derived ellagitannins' metabolites urolithins on pro-inflammatory activities of human neutrophils
Planta Med. 2014;80:887-895.
Do Young Kwon, Young Suk Jung, Sun Ju Kim, Young Soon Kim, DalWoong Choi, Young Chul Kim
Alterations in sulfur amino acid metabolism in mice treated with silymarin: a novel mechanism of its action involved in enhancement of the antioxidant defense in liver
Planta Med. 2013;79:997-1002.
Paula N. Brown, Christina E. Turi, Paul R. Shipley and Susan J. Murch
Comparisons of large (Vaccinium macrocarpon Ait.) and small (Vaccinium oxycoccos L., Vaccinium vitis-idaea L.) cranberry in British Columbia by phytochemical determination, antioxidant potential, and metabolomic profiling with chemometric analysis
Planta Med. 2012;78:630-640.
Award Terms and Conditions - Planta Medica Awards
- One award will be made annually.
- Award winners will be chosen by the Editorial Board based on scientific quality and on the interest that the paper has met within the scientific community.
- The decision of the Editorial Board is final.
- The corresponding author (alternatively, any by the group designated author) of the winning articles will receive a check for € 1,500 and a certificate.
- If one of the authors is present during the GA Conference award session to receive the award and hold a presentation, he or she will also receive a travel grant.
- Free registration is granted to the author designated to receive the prize during the annual GA conference.
- Winning articles will be given “free access” status.
- Winning articles are automatically excluded from winning a future award.