Did you ever wonder how "fresh" vegetables and fruits appear on your supermarket shelves all year round? Clearly, they have been grown, processed, and preserved in ways that we may not be fully aware of. Yet, it is crucially important - not only for your own and your family's health but also for the sustainability of the entire natural environment - that we know the facts about where our food comes from, how it gets to our table, and how each of us as individuals can improve the health and well-being of our planet.
Learn how to get started with this simple, informative guide, recognized by UNESCO as a "contribution for the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development".
- The four dimensions of sustainable eating: healthy diet, harmony with the environment, social cooperation, and a fair economy
- Over 100 easy-to-follow vegetarian and nonvegetarian recipes for cooking sustainably--with an emphasis on fresh, seasonal foods that are not only nutritious and tasty but also support the income of local farmers and producers
- Tips for preparation and cooking that preserve the flavor and nutritional value of our foods
- Important facts about organically grown foods
- Guidance on where to find additional resources for a deeper understanding of some of the topics
- Pointers for achieving sustainability in everyday life – switching to green energy; handling packaging, waste, and trash; saving energy in the kitchen; and more!
Complete with luscious photographs, The Joy of Sustainable Eating demonstrates the tremendous benefits of healthy, conscious, close-to-the-source eating--without sacrificing the pleasures of good food.
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/