The quintessential, reader-friendly guide to refractive cataract surgery (RCS) fundamentals
An estimated 3.6 million cataract surgeries are performed annually in the U.S. Significant advances in IOL technology and techniques have been made in the last two decades. Concurrently, this has given rise to a growing desire among cataract patients to correct preexisting refractive errors with the goal of reducing or eliminating reliance on glasses/contact lenses. Recent surveys have shown that ophthalmology residents and many practicing cataract surgeons receive inadequate training in RCS, including astigmatism and presbyopia correction. The Art of Refractive Cataract Surgery: For Residents, Fellows, and Beginners edited by renowned cataract experts Fuxiang Zhang, Alan Sugar, and Lisa Brothers Arbisser fills a gap in the literature.
This the first book specifically written for students, with uniquely focused chapters based on residents' and junior colleagues' questions and refined by their real feedback. Featuring contributions from a carefully curated team of distinguished refractive cataract surgeons, this reader-friendly book provides expert insights on essential principles and how-to surgical guidance for diverse types of premium IOLs. Clearly-defined basic and fundamental knowledge and applications provide ample inspiration for trainees and early-career refractive cataract surgeons to ford the challenging river of learning curves. Each premium IOL chapter includes candidate selection criteria, contraindications, and evidence-based pearls to inform surgical decision-making, prevent complications, and improve patient outcomes.
- Twenty-three chapters cover a full spectrum of contemporary refractive cataract surgery topics, including Topography/LRI/Toric/MFIOL/EDOF/Trifocal/Monovision/Piggyback/ORA/FLACS
- Detailed prerequisite of surgical pearls helps ensure optimal outcomes for every cataract surgery
- More than 20 procedural videos provide clinical insights on specific techniques
- High-yield tables, charts, and illustrations enable rapid acquisition of key information
The authors believe that this unique resource has great value for residents, fellows, and early-career refractive cataract surgeons who wish to incorporate this facet of ophthalmology into practice or improve their RCS skills.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/