A practical, reader-friendly guide for dental students on the neuroscience of the orofacial region
Understanding neural mechanisms that control orofacial pain, proper masticatory function, taste, speech, swallowing, and proprioceptive input to the temporomandibular joint and teeth is an important facet of dentistry. Neuroscience of Dentistry by renowned educators Barbara J. O'Kane and Laura C. Barritt provides foundational knowledge on these topics. The text integrates fundamental concepts of general neuroscience with vital information on neural mechanisms of the orofacial region and associated pain pathways.
The book is organized in two parts covering basic neuroscience and orofacial neuroscience. Part one is subdivided into four units on the central nervous system, brain and spinal cord gross anatomy, sensory systems, and motor systems. Part two features three units focused on orofacial structures and tissues, dental structures, and orofacial pain and anesthesia. Each generously illustrated, succinctly written, and consistently formatted chapter includes an introductory overview and learning objectives.
- Throughout the book, relevant clinical correlations emphasize the relationship between basic neuroscience and clinical practice
- Concise, high-yield illustrations, schematics, charts, and tables enhance understanding of general and orofacial neuroanatomy concepts
- Helpful overviews at the beginning of each chapter highlight key concepts
- National board style questions at the end of each chapter emphasize board-relevant information that enables self-study
This is a must-have resource for dental students taking neuroscience during their first or second year of dental school. It will also benefit other health science and dental hygiene students, as well as oral and maxillofacial surgery residents.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/