Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related death among men and women in the U.S. and worldwide. For many decades, lung cancer was the sole cancer among the deadly four without an evidence-based screening method for decreasing mortality. This changed in November 2011, when findings from the National Lung Cancer Screening Trial showed low-dose lung CT screening was more efficacious in reducing deaths in high-risk individuals than conventional radiography. As such, an ever-increasing number of health organizations now recommend this screening protocol.
Lung Cancer Screening by Mark Parker and esteemed VCU Health colleagues, fulfills the dire need for a comprehensive guide explaining the crucial aspects of lung cancer screenings. The first two chapters lay a foundation with discussion of lung cancer epidemiology and risk factors beyond cigarette smoking. Subsequent chapters cover the fundamentals, with clinical pearls on setting up a successful lung cancer screening program, patient eligibility criteria, imaging variances of tumors in the lungs, screening pros and cons, and interpreting/reporting screening results.
- The evolution and future of lung cancer screenings
- Detection and management of unexpected incidental pulmonary and non-pulmonary findings
- Discussion of test cases utilizing the Lung-RADSTM risk-stratifying system for low-dose chest CT screenings
- Benefits and potential harms associated with mass lung cancer screening programs including false positive, false negative, and over-diagnosis rates
This state-of-the-art guide is essential reading for radiologists, oncologists, pulmonologists, and internists. It is a must-have bookshelf reference for hospital radiology and oncology departments, in particular for those setting up new lung cancer screening programs.
Frequently asked questions
How do I redeem my eBook?
- Once you have successfully completed your eBook purchase on Thieme.com please look in your Order Confirmation e-mail for your unique redemption code. If you have not received your code, please contact Customer Service at email@example.com for assistance.
- Please go to https://www.vitalsource.com and make an account if you do not already have one.
- Once you are logged in, click the Account menu at the top right of the screen. Select Redeem and enter the redemption code in the Code To Redeem box.
- Press Redeem. Once the code has been redeemed your eBook will download and appear in your library.
Can I download e-books directly to mobile phones/tablets (without going through PC/laptop)?
- Click this link to access app downloads for iPhone, Android, Kindle, Mac, PC, and Chromebook: https://www.vitalsource.com/downloads
- Once you have downloaded the Bookshelf app, open the app and log in to your Bookshelf account to access your eBook. Click on “All Titles” in the collection pane to view all the eBooks in your account. Double-click on the title to download the book to your device. Once downloaded, double-click again to open the book.
Can I transfer e-books to other computers?
With an account from Vitalsource, you are able to access your book anywhere once you have logged in to your account at least once.
What is an e-book?
An e-book is an electronic edition of a printed book that is available as a file. The content does not differ from the printed edition of the book. Thieme offers electronic books in PDF and EPUB formats. For both formats, you need software to display the documents on your reading device. This software is not part of the e-book download.
What is the PDF format?
Adobe PDF format (Portable Document Format) is a standard format in MAC/PC area. Free programs for reading a PDF are available for all common operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and for almost all e-book readers such as e-book readers, tablets or smartphones.
What is the EPUB format?
EPUB (electronic publication) is a standard format for e-books that enables dynamic adaptation of the text to the size of the display device. It is particularly well suited for displaying e-books on tablet PCs, smartphones, and e-book readers.
EPUBs can also be easily displayed on MACs/PCs via the free ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software, for example.
An Internet connection is required only to download the e-book to the reader. Once the download is complete, you can view and read the e-book without an Internet connection.
Are e-books copy-protected?
E-books from Thieme Publishing Group are provided with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection from Vitalsource
On how many devices can I read the e-book?
You can read an e-book on up to six different (mobile) devices. These devices must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.
Can I exchange/return an e-book?
E-books are products that are not suitable for return due to their nature. Just like downloads of other electronic files (movies, music or software), e-books are excluded from the right of withdrawal. A return or exchange is therefore not possible.
If you have any questions about downloading Bookshelf, creating your account, or accessing and using your eBook edition, please visit http://support.vitalsource.com/